Help for the Fireplace Shopper

Chimney Safety

Thursday, July 30, 2009 Posted by Stephanie H.

Taking care of your chimney is a big responsibility not only for the efficiency of your fireplace, but for the safety of your chimney and home. The interior of your chimney can break down from the creosote, toxic gases, and extreme temperatures. This can become very dangerous for your family. Chimney safety can be promoted by making sure your chimney is operating correctly. It’s important that you take proper care and maintenance of your chimney to reduce risk of a possible chimney fire.

Creosote buildup in your chimney is what will cause a chimney fire. Creosote is very flammable and can ignite easily. Many house fires are caused by unsafe creosote filled chimneys. The main cause of creosote buildup is the burning of unseasoned wood. Creosote can also be from slow smoldering fires that do not allow the flue gases to burn off before cooling down and bonding to the inside of the chimney. Truly, to keep your creosote buildup down to a minimum you will want to burn clean, seasoned wood and nothing else.

For more information on how to keep you chimney safe, please check out “Cleaning Instructions for a Metal or Pre-Fabricated Chimney” or “How to Clean a Masonry Chimney.”

No comments: